Saturday, February 28, 2009


Today was another great tour. It started out at Windsor Castle. The queen was in residence, so her flag was flying overhead. The state apartments are gorgeous, and Queen Mary’s Dolls’ House was amazing. A full building at 1/12 scale with running water and electricity and art and miniature books donated by famous artists and authors from all over Europe. I also got to see the changing of the guard, not as massive as at Buckingham, but impressive none the less. The band was great.
Next we had lunch at a nice little pub and then went to Stonehenge. It’s incredible to think that some of those stones weigh forty-five tons and they were brought from Wales and erected on Salisbury Plain hundreds of years before the invention of the wheel. It is a pretty impressive sight, and I realize how lucky I am to have a stone circle at home. Thanks Dad!
Our last stop was Bath. We only got an hour and a half there, and I could have stayed for a week. I saw tearooms for the first time on this trip (so many that there is a guidebook to the tearooms of Bath). I toured the Roman Baths, and tasted the waters. They are said to be medicinal, with forty different minerals that treat all kinds of ailments. It smells bad, but it doesn’t taste nearly as disgusting as the water in Ashland.
I got to the Jane Austen Centre right as it was closing, so I only got to see the shop, and the Assembly Rooms and Fashion Museum were also closed when I got there. I definitely have to go back. There is so much to see and do, Bath could be a trip in itself. Something new to dream about. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment