Sunday, February 22, 2009

The rain is still holding off. They’re now calling for clouds only for the next few days. This morning I visited Kensington Palace. It has some amazing ceiling paintings and tapestries. There was also an exhibit about the last season of the debutants in the 50s. Lots of cute dresses.
Then I tried to go to the Royal Mews to see the collection of carriages, but it’s closed until April. I did get to see the Queen’s Gallery. Right now it is displaying a collection of Flemish paintings, one of my favorite styles. I love that all the museums over here give you the audio tours w
ith your tickets instead of making you pay extra. It really adds to the experience.
Then I went by Buckingham Palace, and on to St. James’s Park. It had an amazing variety of birds. Several beautiful kinds of ducks and geese, and huge peachy Pelicans which dwarfed the swans. The best bit was the squirrels. They are very tame, and not only will they eat peanuts out of your hand, they’ll run right up your pant leg to do it! A nice man shared some peanuts with me, and I couldn’t believe how gentle they were. Then I caught the right b
us back to my hotel (a triumph) and am busily planning my day for tomorrow. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment