Friday, February 27, 2009




I took the first of my tours today. It started at Leeds Castle in Kent. It is a beautiful, well-preserved castle which used to house the Queens of England, including several wives of Henry VIII, before being purchased and restored by an American in the 1920s. It was gorgeous, inside and out, and I especially liked the black swans in the moat.
Next we drove down to Dover and had a photo op at the white cliffs. It was a beautiful sunny day on our side of the channel, but there were clouds on the other side so we couldn’t quite see the French coast. I really wanted to be able to say “I saw London, I saw France …” Oh well.
After Dover we went to Canterbury. We had lunch and then visited the cathedral. It is an amazing building. When I went down in the crypt there was a choir rehearsing down there, and it echoed beautifully.
After returning to London, we had a cruise down the Thames from Greenwich, arriving at the Embankment at sunset. It was a lovely day. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment